Chef and author Dominique Rizzo shares her recipe for swordish involtini with SBS Radio’s Matteo Rubbettino.
This Swordfish Involtini recipe is a rendition of the sarde beccafico, stuffed baked sardines, although this is my version using swordfish and the similar delicious stuffing of garlic, pine nuts, raisins, pecorino cheese and onions.
Sarde beccafico is a typical Sicilian dish made of fresh sardines filled breadcrumbs, olive oil, pine nuts and raisins. Beccafico, which is a little bird similar to a quail, literally means beak figs.
Recipe for Swordfish Involtini by Chef Dominique Rizzo
- 520 grams of swordfish
- olive oil
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp raisins, chopped
- 4 tbsp flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small red chilli
- rich tomato sauce
- mixed salad leaves
- 1¼ cup pecorino cheese
- Cut the swordfish into thin slices and flatten. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the breadcrumbs and parsley in a bowl.
- To prepare the filling, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it softens. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Transfer the onion and garlic to a bowl, along with the pine nuts, raisins, flat-leaf parsley and chilli, and toss to combine.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place ½ tbsp of filling onto a piece of swordfish. Carefully roll up the swordfish. Repeat with the remaining swordfish and filling. Dip the rolls in the seasoned oil. Coat in the breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil for 2–3 minutes. Transfer to a baking tray and bake in preheated oven for 7 minutes.
- Top with pecorino and serve with tomato sauce and a mixed salad.
This recipe serves 4, takes 15 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to cook. Skill level is easy.
If you would like more recipes and tips like this, then follow Chef Dominique Rizzo on her YouTube Channel and at her “Putia Pure Food Kitchen” channel.
For more of Dominique’s recipes go to her cookbook “My Taste of Sicilly” http://dominiquerizzo.com/product/my-taste-of-sicily-by-dominique-rizzo/
If this recipe whets your appetite for more of Dominique’s food, come to Putia Pure Food Kitchen for pure food dining and cooking class experiences. What’s on the menu? Go to http://putiapurefood.com.au/current-menu/
Follow on Instagram: Putiapurefoodkitchen
Facebook: Putia Pure Food Kitchen
This recipe is featured on SBS at http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/swordfish-involtini.