This Asian Inspired Crab Omelette recipe makes for a decadent dish that’s perfect if you’re just back from an early morning shop at the fish markets, armed with luxurious crab meat. A very moorish dish using sweet fresh cooked spanner crab you could also substitute prawns, cooked trout, salmon or your favourite protein.
150ml vegetable oil
½ cup cooked rice
3 medium eggs
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp cream
100 g freshly picked spanner crab meat
handful bean sprouts
1 cup broccoli florets, sliced
1 thumb of ginger, julienned
1 bunch coriander leaves, to garnish
1 red chili sliced
5 ml sesame oil
1 finger lime ( squeezed) – or substitute a squeeze of lime juice
½ tsp black sesame seeds
1. Heat a wok or fry pan over a high heat and add in 1 tsp of oil. Fry the broccoli slices until tender and golden, remove and set aside.
2. Add in a little more oil and add the cooked rice. Fry the rice until golden and crispy on all sides. Remove from the pan.
3. In a bowl combine the eggs, cream, oyster sauce and soy sauce and season with pepper.
4. Reheat the wok and add in all of the oil. When the oil is hot and smoking, pour in the egg mixture and wait until it puffs up. Cook for 2 minutes, while the egg is still a little wet, add the crab and cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Remove the omelette from the pan and onto a plate, garnish with the combined bean sprouts, ginger, broccoli, crispy rice, sesame oil and finger lime.