Asian Mushroom and Kelp Noodle Rice Paper Rolls
Everybody loves these Asian Mushroom and Kelp Noodle Rice Paper Rolls as they are so healthy and easy and quick to prepare as a snack, party food or a meal.
Makes 15 – 25 rolls depending on the size. I have used kelp noodles, which can be purchased, in health food shops. If you can’t find them simply use rice noodles, as they will work just as well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 400 g mussels, cleaned and bearded
- 400 g clams, (Vongole) soak fresh clams in cold water for 2 hours, changing the water 4 times alternately you can buy these freshly cleaned and in cryvoc bags ready to use
- 500 g raw prawns, peeled and cleaned
- 250 g fresh calamari, cleaned, sliced into rings and tentacles kept
- 50 g green olives, pitted and sliced
- 2 cups of young celery leaves
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
• Rice noodles, soaked
Rice Paper Rolls Ingredients
• 1 cup Thai basil leaves
• ¼ cup crispy eshallots
• Snow pea sprouts
• Rice papers
• 1 Lebanese cucumber
• 1 tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
Heat the sunflower oil in a saucepan over a moderate heat and sauté off the mushrooms for 2 – 3 minutes until just softened. Adding a little oil as you go, cook the mushrooms in batches adding in the ginger and garlic to the last batch and cooking it for about 2 minutes. Add this to the remainder of the mushrooms and then stir through the finely sliced bok choy and eschallots while the mushrooms are still hot.
Add in the noodles and the remainder of the ingredients and stir to combine leaving the mix to cool in the fridge.
Soak 2 – 3 rice papers in warm to hot water for a couple of minutes until softened, drain and lay them down on a bench. Place two good teaspoons of the filling onto each paper and top with a basil leaf and some of the fried shallots, roll up the rice paper folding in the sides and adding a few snow pea sprouts into the roll as garnish. Continue with the remainder of the filling.
Using a peeler peel ribbons from one small Lebanese cucumber. Wrap the cucumber around the roll and then garnish with toasted sesame seeds.