Asian prawn and noodle salad with coriander and lime dressing
One of my favourite quick recipes to cook is this Asian prawn and noodle salad. It’s really easy to throw together and has wonderfully fresh, crisp flavours and with a really healthy tick. The dressing is delicious and works well also as a marinade, or stir fry sauce.
- 500g fresh green prawns
- 1/2 red capsicum, seeds removed and sliced thinly
- 1/2 green capsicum, seeds removed and sliced thinly
- 2 spring onion (eshallots), sliced thinly
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch coriander leaves
- Good handful of mint
- 1 inch piece of ginger, thinly sliced and cut into fine matchsticks
- 200g rice noodles -note-
Rice noodles, bean thread noodles or vermicelli noodles are usually made of rice or bean and are readily available in all Asian grocers in a variety of thickness. You can also pick them up in local supermarkets, they make a fantastic addition to your pantry staples making them easy to add into salads, soups and stir frys
For the dressing
Makes 1 cup
- 1/2 bunch coriander stalks
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup sweet chili
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet style vinegar or verjuice -note-
- 2 tablespoons lighter tasting oil
Verjuice is a condiment made from the first press of grapes, it is a fresh product although you will find it near the vinegars. It has a slightly sweeter taste than vinegar but is used as a vinegar in dressings, marinades and also for desserts. Once opened verjuice has to be kept in the fridge but will have a shelf like of a few months.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing and set aside in the fridge.
- Steam the prawns for 8 – 10 minutes until they turn pink. You can also cook them in a frypan or use freshly cooked prawns.
- Soak the rice noodles in boiling water until softened and then drain. Rinse them with cold water and allow them to drain completely. Combine all the ingredients for the salad with the noodles and toss together. Spoon over a couple of tablespoons of dressing and toss again. Serve chilled.