Greek style Baked lemon chicken
Chicken legs are something I associate with Asian marinades or crumbed and fried. This recipe is a little different using fresh lemon, herbs and is deliciously flavoursome, easy to put together and makes an ideal dish to enjoy for dinner or a cold lunch the next day. I trimmed my chicken legs off at the knuckle and took off the skin and the meat around the bone for a cleaner look, it also makes it easier to pick them up and eat. You can buy them like this or get them from your butcher.
Greek style Baked lemon chicken Ingredients
- 1.2kg of chicken legs or 12 chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon of parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 lemon cut into eight wedges
For the herb roast vegetables
- 1 large red capsicum, seeded and cut into 4cm pieces
- 400g pumpkin, peeled and seeded and cut into 5cm chunks
- 2 brown onions, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 4 roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh picked thyme
For the herb roast vegetables Ingredients
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 ¼ cups dried breadcrumbs
Preheat the oven to 200c
Using a sharp knife make a couple of incisions into the chicken legs and sit them into a baking dish.
Blend or chop together all the herbs and the garlic and mix this with the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper. Pour this over the chicken and rub it into the incisions.
Take a wedge of the lemon and push it into one of the incisions in the chicken and sit them back in the baking dish. Bake the legs for 40 minutes.
Prepare the vegetables onto a baking tray and drizzle over the olive oil combined with the minced garlic , season with salt and pepper and roast for 30 minutes.
Garnish the vegetables with the fresh thyme when they come out of the oven.