For the perfect accompaniment to any special meal or for a mid-week vegetable makeover, a little duck fat goes a long way to give your favourite vegetables a simple gourmet twist. These homestyle vegetables will make it so easy for you to create deliciously crispy potatoes and lovely brown caramelised vegetables bringing extra flavour to your table.
· 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into eighths
· 300g parsnip (about 3), peeled and halved length ways
· 300g carrots, peeled and halved length ways ( you can also use 1 bunch of baby carrots and leave them whole)
· 2 brown onions, peeled and cut into quarters
· 300g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 3 cm pieces
· 3 tablespoons olive oil
· 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves torn off
· 3 sprigs of thyme
· 2 garlic cloves, smashed
· Salt and pepper
2. Place the potatoes and sweet potato into the boiling water and cook for five minutes, followed by the parsnips and cook for a further three minutes. Drain well.
3. Put the olive oil, rosemary, thyme and garlic into a large roasting tray and heat in the oven for 3 minutes until aromatic, stir to combine, then add all the vegetables to the hot oil and toss well to cover. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 25 – 30 minutes until cooked through and golden.
Serve as they are or with chopped parsley and a simple mustard cream made by stirring 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard together with 250g of sour cream and season to taste.
· Use butter or coconut oil instead of the olive oil
· for a richer flavour use 3 tablespoons of duck fat mixed with the herbs and garlic
· Instead of the rosemary, use fresh thyme or sage for an equally fantastic combination.