Moroccan Chicken with Pistachios, Apricots & Rose
This is a wonderfully easy Moroccan Chicken with Pistachios, Apricots & Rose recipe, all you need is a lovely salad on the side and your done. The flavours are typically exotic with fragrant spices, and hints of rose just to finish it off.
- 450g basmati or Jasmine rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g pine nuts
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 50g chopped dried apricots
- 50g pistachio kernels, chopped
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 chicken thigh fillets or 2 breast fillets, sliced into strips
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup orange juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp rose water
- ¼ tsp salt and a good grinding of fresh cracked pepper
- 2 cup sliced green onion (shallots)
- ¼ cup pistachio kernals extra
- ½ cup rose petals to garnish
- Cook the rice in boiling water as per directed on the back of the packet and drain. Set the rice aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a fry pan and add in the pine nuts to cook for a couple of minutes until toasted and remove. Cook the onions and spices and sauté until the onions have softened.
- Stir in the apricots, pistachio nuts and the cinnamon and tip this into the rice.
- Reheat the fry pan and add in another tablespoon of oil, cook the chicken strips in batches leaving them to cook for 3-4 minutes until they become slightly crispy and golden. While cooking the chicken strips sprinkle them with the ground cinnamon. Transfer them to the rice and then finish cooking the remainder of the chicken.
- Once you have finished cooking all the chicken reduce the heat down on the pan and pour in the orange juice. Simmer the juice and with a spoon scrape up any chicken bits stuck to the pan.
- Add in the orange zest and rose water, season really well with salt and pepper as this is the dressing for the rice. Pour the juices over the chicken and rice and toss well to combine. Serve the dish scattered with the sliced green onions and serve scattered with the rose petals and extra pistachio nuts.