- 100ml olive oil
- 1 kg good quality pork and fennel Sicilian sausages
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 cup good strong red wine like a shiraz or cabernet, if you can get a good Italian Nero dávola that would be perfect
- 1 bunch silver beet, stalks removed and torn into strips
- 1 1/2 cups reduced beef stock
Heat the oil in a large heavy based fry pan over a moderate temperature and add in the sausages. Cook them for 5 minutes on all sides, add in the onions and the garlic and sauté until slightly starting to colour. Add in the red wine and reduce by 1/2.
Place the silver beet into the pan and the pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper and cover the pan, cooking it on a simmer until the sauce has reduced by half and the silver beet wilted.
Serve with roast potatoes and crusty bread.