- 500g Spiral Pasta
- 2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed with flat of knife and sliced thinly
- 4 x 400g peeled tomatoes, you can also use crushed, diced, or bottled tomato passata.
- 1 cup diced, fresh basil.
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup red wine.
- 1 tblsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tblsp butter
- Shaved parmesan
Heat a heavy based pan and add in the olive oil, add in the garlic an diced onion and fry until slightly softened.
Add in the red wine and cook for a couple of minutes, add in the tomatoes, basil, thyme, sugar and seasoning.
Simmer the sauce on a low heat for 45 minutes or until sauce has reduced by ¼ and is rich in flavour and colour. Adjust seasoning and take off the heat.
Cook the pasta as directed and drain. Pour the pasta back into the pasta pot and add the butter.
Ladle some of the Napolitana sauce into the pot and stir gently to cover the pasta.
Serve into individual bowls and spoon on more sauce.
Serve with shaved parmesan.