The Ultimate Gourmet Burger
This is the best burger recipe for a quick meal, party dish or to whip up any night of the week. With all the endless varieties and toppings you can add to burgers, we have come up with the Ultimate burger combination.
Choose a bun like brioche, English muffins or quality burger buns – you want them to be springy but firm and supportive so they don’t fall apart or go sloppy when eating.
When cooking the beef patties it is important to use a high temperature to sear the beef pattie and not to squash or prod them while cooking as they will lose their juices.
For fresh salad ingredients on a burger lay the tomato and the lettuce on top of each other and not on top of a hot burger, the lettuce will stay crispy and the tomatoes will stay firm.
Always use a good quality mince, the breadcrumbs are optional, they do help to give good texture to the meat pattie keeping it moist during and after cooking.
- 2 medium brown onions sliced, 1cm thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of bicarb soda
- ¼ teaspoon of sugar
- Good pinch of salt
- 4 pieces of the round of bacon
- 500g premium Beef mince
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs mixed with 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons of hot mustard
- 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- 4 burger buns
- 2 gherkins thinly sliced in rounds
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese (large enough to cover the pattie)
- 2 large ripe but firm tomatoes, sliced into 1cm slices
- 4 leaves of ice berg lettuce