Watermelon, Raspberry & Cucumber salad with Buffalo Mozzarella & Mint
This salad came from my sister in law who told me she was eating basil, cucumber and watermelon salads as she had an abundance of cucumbers and basil in her garden. I loved the idea of watermelon and cucumber as it sounded fresh, cool and juicy… what could be better.
My Watermelon, Raspberry & Cucumber salad with Buffalo Mozzarella & Mint went a little more Italian with the addition of fresh Raspberries, torn fresh basil herbs and a sweet and tangy Raspberry vinaigrette, not to mention deliciously milky curds of Buffalo mozzarella. If you cant get mozzarella, you can use feta, grilled halloumi or blue cheese. Perfect for any occasion, the salad can be served with prawns, bugs, salmon, grilled fish and poached chicken.
- 1/4 watermelon – if you were making a larger salad use half.
- 2 small cucumbers
- 1/2 Spanish onion, finely sliced
- 1 ball of buffalo mozzarella
- a good handful of mint leaves
- a good handful of basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
Dressing (makes 150ml)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Raspberry vinegar you can also use (balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste