If you think it’s all strawberries and ice cream at the Ekka, then think again. At the Food and Wine stage, it is everything from kangaroo damper to edible flowers to gelati, to native fruits, to dagwood dogs, to gnocchi and sausage making, mixing it up with Country & Western singers, our fabulous boys in blue.
That’s what the Food & Wine Storyline at the EKKA in 2017 with Chef Dominique Rizzo is all about.
Chef Ben King – Head Chef at Putia Pure Food Kitchen
As the host of the Food & Wine Stage in the Woolworths Pavillion, Dominique welcomed her fabulous guest presenters by day and then cooked up a storm at night for her special “Dinners with Dom“.
Dominique’s shares with you two of her favourite recipes from this year’s EKKA that will be easy for you to cook at home and enjoy with yourwww.kullillaart.com.au/coo-ee-cuisine-bush-food-kitchen-recipe-book and friends.
Dale Chapman from First Food Co (Aust) Pty Ltd
Straight from Dale’s Cooee Cuisine cookbook is a native spice rub rubbed onto a kangaroo fillet. Showcasing a wattleseed damper sliced into thin slices for the finished creation of a kangaroo bruschetta.
Native Spice Kangaroo Damper Bruschetta
½ tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tbsp ground pepper berries
½ tbsp. chilli peppers
2 tbsp ground lemon myrtle
2 tbsp dried finger lime
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp native mint
2 tbsp toasted coconut
3 cups self-raising flour
½ cup extra self raising flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup powdered milk
½ cup soda water
2 tbsp wattleseed
2 cups oil
Wild Spice Rub:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Add olive oil to make a wet mixture to brush over kangaroo fillet.
- Salt and pepper kangaroo.
- Cook kangaroo in a hot pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Let rest and slice thinly.
- Sift flour, add wattleseed, fold in soda water, adding more if you need it.
- Very quickly combine and dust surface with extra flour and knead.
- Make into shape of a loaf and bake in a moderate oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Slice into 1cm slices, brush with oil and char grill.
Assemble: Assemble kangaroo onto char grilled damper. Add rocket and serve.
Our very talented country and western singers on the Food & Wine Storyline:
Country and Western musician
Country & Western singer, songwriter, musician Felicity Kircher with her father Robert
“Dinner with Dom” recipe:
Pasta curls with Italian pork sausage, sage, radicchio and parmesan
- 750 grams pork and fennel sausages
- 150 grams thick-cut pancetta, diced
- 2 brown onions, peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 3 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400 ml red wine
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 400 grams tinned crushed tomatoes
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs oregano
- salt and pepper
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Fried sage
- Radicchio baked with honey garlic dressing
- Shaved parmesan
- Remove the skins from the sausages and crumble the meat. Discard the skins. Heat a heavy-based pot over medium heat, then add the sausage meat and pancetta. Fry until the sausage meat is golden brown, stirring every few minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, bay leaves, dried chilli and fennel seeds. Stir in well. The vegetables will sweat a little and ease all the crusty, caramelized pieces from the bottom of the pot.
- Continue to cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized. Add the tomato paste and red wine and bring to a simmer. Add the stock, tinned tomatoes, rosemary, and oregano and continue to simmer for about 45 minutes on low heat, until you have a thick, intense sauce consistency. Cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
- When cooked, season the ragu carefully (the sausages will already be salted), then add the olive oil and the cooked pasta. Bring the pot to the table.
The people in the know about the Food and Wine Storyline:
Anooska Tucker-Evans, The Courier Mail
And the best behind the scenes team ever:
The Woolworths Pavillion at the EKKA
Where it all happens: the Woolworths Pavillion at the Brisbane EKKA