French toast breakfast trifle with caramelised fruit salad, vanilla yoghurt and almonds
Shake up your breakfast menu this season and try this quick and healthy twist on French toast. Fresh peaches, sweet juicy cherries and toasted almonds will have you will wanting long lazy weekends every day.
Straining the yoghurt using a fine strainer over night in the fridge produces a thicker consistency.
Try serving the toasted sponge with thick custard and a dollop of cream for a quick dinner dessert.
Pitting the cherries can sometimes be difficult, the easiest way is to cut the cherry in half and remove the seeds by hand.
- 1 plain vanilla sponge sliced into 4 x 2.5cm thick slices
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup thick Greek yoghurt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 peaches, halved cored and sliced in quarters
- 500g cherries, deseeded and halved
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup extra thick Greek yoghurt
- ¼ tsp vanilla bean paste
- ¼ cup flaked almonds
- Mint leaves for garnish