Prawn and avocado cocktail tarts with fresh basil
Nothing cries summer more than the combination of fresh prawns, avocado and a creamy zesty dressing and what’s really special about this recipe is that once the tarts are cooked your work is virtually done. The filling can be put in place moments before serving.
This twist on a classic favourite is perfect for a sit down dinner, picnic lunch, or a party finger food.
For a more traditional style serve the prawns tossed with the dressing and avocado in a glass garnished with the lettuce with triangles of toasted croutons on the side.
Spice up the cocktail sauce by adding a dash of Tobasco or a spicy tomato relish.
- 6 large slices of good quality white sliced bread
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 500g fresh cooked prawns
- 1 small cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- 1 small curly leaf lettuce, leaves picked
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 3 long eshallots, finely sliced
- ½ tablespoon of white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 5 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 avocado finely dice and tossed with ½ lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Salt and pepper