Pasta, rice or vegetable bakes are something that we all grew up on and the best thing about having them for dinner is that they taste even better the next day. The beauty of Bakes and 7 reasons why they are so great are:
- They are a fantastic way of throwing a pile of wonderful tasty ingredients together in the one pot.
- They makes an easy meal for anyone to put together a Bake.
- Also they don’t have to be heavy and full of fat.
- You can combine wonderful ingredients that are healthy and still full of flavour making them ideal for everyone.
- Bakes are perfect for school or work lunches, when they cool they are very easy to cut and place into takeaway containers.
- Use the combinations and suggestions given under the salad heading for grains and vegetables to make your bakes something a little special.
- Grains such as rice, pasta, quinoa, cous cous, barley are all perfect and when teamed with all sorts of vegetables including spinach, sweet potato, pumpkin, corn, tomatoes, zucchini, herbs, spices, cheese and eggs.
Well the list is endless and the possibilities are many. So get your bake on with this super tasty recipe:
Rice and Tuna bake
Prep time 15 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes
3 cups of cooked basmati rice
425g tin of tuna in brine, drained
zest and juice of 1 lemon
4 green shallots, sliced
1 zucchini, trimmed, grated and squeezed of all its liquid
½ cup chopped parsley
3 fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
160g ricotta cheese
1 egg white
20g parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 200c
- Spray a ceramic dish or individual muffin trays with oil. Combine the tuna, lemon rind, juice, chopped shallots, grated zucchini, diced tomatoes and the parsley in a large bowl. Whisk together the eggs, ricotta and parmesan and season well with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mix into the rice and mix well, spread this into the greased baking dish and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden.
- Substitute the tuna for salmon, cooked fresh fish, cooked mince seasoned with Mexican spices and a tin of diced tomatoes or diced cooked chicken. If you are looking for dairy free alternative you can use soft tofu in this dish and dairy free